Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Culture in the Commons

This one goes out to all my fellow Washburn students!

As stated via Facebook (courtesy of good friend and musician Sage Cornelius), a free event is taking place on campus tomorrow called Culture in the Commons.

(image credit @Sage's Facebook)

The event will consist of three artists who will perform pieces that will showcase a range of musical styles, and following each performance will be a brief discussion of the cultural relevance of each song performed and a little history lesson pertaining to the style of music performed. 

Sounds like something I wouldn't want to miss out on! 

Lineup

Brail Watson 

Brail will be singing, playing his cello and even rapping. I've known Brail for some time now, and he is hands down one of the most talented guys I've had the pleasure know. Click here for more information on Brail!

Nico Williams

Nico will be playing Marimba style percussion will some jazzy vibes. Nico is a good kid and talented percussionist, and his performance will be noteworthy to say the least.

Sage Cornelius

Sage will be playing his violin in a very 'fiddlish' manner, and will be singing some Native American themed tunes accompanied by a hand drummer (unfortunately this will not be me).

There you have it! It's free, and the event will be held tomorrow in the dining hall of the union from 3-4pm. What better endeavor is there than to casually enjoy the fine artistry of these musicians while learning a thing or two?

Hope to see some familiar and unfamiliar faces there! Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I missed out on this event! I really love that Washburn hosts these types of events to shed a light on the variety of talent that lies within the student population. I've actually seen Brail perform before and he is, as you said, extremely gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I missed, I heard it was a good time and next time something like this happen I will be in attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was asked to be a part of this but I had to work unfortunately. I'm sure it was a great time!

    ReplyDelete