Thursday, February 5, 2015

Monk's Wine

It gives me great pleasure to introduce my band, Monk's Wine. From the bottom of my beating heart I couldn't ask to play with a better group of musicians. These guys are more than just rehearsed professionals, they're dear friends and all around creative individuals. 


(image credit @Kendollphotography)

Members

(left) - Sam Zlotky, drums/vocals

(middle) - Jarrod Guth, guitar/vocals

(right) - Ashley Reynolds, lead vocals/keys

Genre

....Let us get back to you on that one, we still aren't sure! The best I can do is say we have been affectionately dubbed 'piano rock' by some, combining the flavors of bands such as Dave Matthews Band and Ben Folds (hope that helps).

My Experience 

Looking back over the years, one of my most treasured decisions still today is joining this band back in 2010. Much has changed in 5 years. At the time I was a music major at Washburn University, and I couldn't have been more eager to immerse myself in music. I'd heard from a drummer friend that a band needed a drummer, so despite being nervous, I went for it. Lo and behold, I nailed the audition!

Were it not for setting aside fear and just going for it, I wouldn't be the musician that I am today. We've played many shows, locally and beyond. Some of the shows went as planned, some forced us to quickly improvise! Along the way I've certainly grown as a drummer, and through experience I've learned to curb my performance anxiety. Even furthermore, I've had experience recording in studios since joining this band.

Closing

I've come a long way in 5 years. If not for my bandmates, I'm not sure where I'd be today in the music world. Chances are I wouldn't be qualified to create a blog about the local music scene. I'm blessed to be a part of this group, and I look forward to what the future holds for us. 

For upcoming shows, tunes, and much more, see the links below!





Monk's Wine - Message 3 (music video)

(video credit @Jake Livgren, Britta Lee Productions)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're able to contribute your own personal music experience to this blog. Your band sounds really incredible and I hope to see a show one of these days! It's wonderful to hear that your band involvement has helped you grow as both a person and a musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. Hope to see you at a show soon for sure!

      Delete
  2. This sounds awesome! I'd love to see you play sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marissa, seeing you guys play would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work, I really respect what you guys are doing so keep it up you sound great!

    ReplyDelete