Thursday, February 12, 2015

Slow Ya Roll

Slow Ya Roll is an accomplished local band, and their engaging stage presence is matched by very few. Not only am I fortunate enough to know these fine musicians but I've shared the stage with them several times, including a Battle of the Bands. They came in at a close 2nd to our 1st place snag!

(image credit @Kendollphotography)

Members

(far left) - Justin Fowler, keys/vocals

(left) - Bryan Schmutz, guitar

(right) - Sean Walker, bass guitar

(far right) - Elvin Graves Jr, vocals/percussion

Genre

Now I'm not one for confining bands to specific genres, as you may have noticed while reading my Monk's Wine blog post. These guys combine elements of undeniable funk and smooth silky soul, while experimenting with ambient and reggae....there, that was my best shot! 

Closing

From a small local bar to a theater, Slow Ya Roll are some very well rehearsed artists who know how to please a crowd. Having been to several shows as an audience member, let me tell you there is never a dull moment when they control the stage. I couldn't endorse a more spirited local band.

For upcoming shows, tunes, and much more, see the links below!



5 comments:

  1. I liked what you said about not feeling like it was your place to classify the genre of a band's music. I find it very hard nowadays to tie only one genre to a band. The lines between genres have almost become fluid and blurred in today's music industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name of this band is hilarious. haha. But past that, they sound pretty cool! I'm going to give them a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listened to a few tracks, and I can't believe I've never heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am listening to them now and nice finds, this is why I had to read your blog you know what is going on my man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you guys are listening to this group! They're seriously so funky. Slow Ya Roll are just amazing musicians.

    ReplyDelete